A schools Governing board should fulfill the following responsibilities:
- help the school to set high standards by planning for the school's future and setting targets for school improvement
- monitor and support school improvement
- be a critical friend to the school, offering support and advice
- help the school respond to the needs of parents and the community
- make the school accountable to the public for what it does
- work with the school on planning, developing policies and keeping the school under review
- exercise its responsibilities and powers in partnership with the headteacher and staff
- The headteacher is responsible for the day to day management of the school. Governors may assist with this if called upon in times of extreme difficulty.
Chilcote’s Governing board meets at least four times a year as a full governing board and at numerous times between these meetings as committees. There are three committees which perform a variety of different tasks.
Curriculum and Standards
This committee reviews many of the schools policies, assists in the writing of the school development plan each year and finds out about how subjects are taught in schools.
Finance and Staffing Committee
This committee is tasked with approving and monitoring the school budget, approving policies relating to finance and authorising payments that exceed the headteacher’s delegated limit.
Members of this committee are often involved in the recruitment of new staff; reading application forms and asking questions as part of an interview panel. The Finance and Staffing Committee scrutinises policies relating to staffing.
Our Governors 2019-2020
Rev Martin Stephenson - Co-opted
Vacancy - Co-opted (from September 2019)
Nicola Kelly - Co-opted (Chair of Governors)
Pauline Okirie - Local Authority
Vacancy - Parent (from September 2019)
Dominic Taylor - Parent
Eleanor Ashton - Teacher
Karl Merrick - Co-opted
Dawn Guren - Co opted
Leon Clifford - Parent
Jill Blower - Clerk
Graham White - Co-opted
Wahid Zaman - Co-opted (Vice Chair)
Debbie Doherty - Headteacher